Make a meal out of nothing
Winter can play havoc with our routines. With precious few daylight hours, being organized and planning ahead are important for staying on track. But even the best laid plans can go astray sometimes. Having ingredients available for a quick, easy meal will get you out of trouble when you can’t be bothered cooking or need to make a meal in a hurry.
The basics that I have on hand are eggs, baked beans, canned tomatoes and canned salmon. Canned soup is another good staple thing to have in your pantry. Freeze your leftover bread too.
Check out my ideas:
- If you have eggs make an omelete or frittata. Just whisk up some eggs and add in whatever vegetables you have available
- Leftovers can really save the day so don’t throw them out. Put in small containers and freeze for later use. Leftover mashed potato can be mixed with a can of salmon, some diced onion and parsley to make Salmon Patties.
- Baked beans can be made into a tasty meal. Just finely dice up any vegetables you have and mix in with the beans. Microwave for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are cooked to your liking. Serve over a potato or toast.
- Use leftover rice to make fried rice. Add in any fresh or frozen veggies, whisk up an egg and add to the mix then dice up some leftover meat and toss it through.
- Jaffles or toasted sandwiches fill an empty tummy. Use whatever you have in the pantry or fridge. Check out book 5 for heaps of tasty sandwich fillings.
Prefer to follow a recipe?
Curry in a Hurry from book 5 is a super easy, tasty one pot recipe that will be on the table in no time at all.
For a quick dessert you can’t beat canned fruit in natural juice or heat some pie apple and serve with low fat ice-cream for a quick dessert. Pie apple is also nice in a jaffles.