I love soup, which would explain why I have so many healthy homemade soups in my cookbooks. Now is the perfect time to enjoy a hot steaming bowl of hearty soup with these cold days now set in for winter. The great thing about my soup recipes are that you don’t need to spend hours in the kitchen to create something delicious.
Soup is a healthy lunch or easy dinner option and can also be used as an ideal afternoon snack to get you through until dinnertime. Forget canned varieties, healthy homemade soups not only taste delicious but you also know what is in them. Canned soup can be high in salt, fat, preservatives and additives.
Here’s how to cut the fat and make healthy homemade soups
- Use up your old vegetables to make a delicious soup – throw them in a boiler with some herbs and spices.
- Add kidney beans, lentils, barley or rice to bulk up the soup.
- Use lean meat and skinless chicken to keep the fat count low. Use ham steaks instead of the hock. For an even lower fat count, once the soup has cooled, scrape away any fat that comes to the surface.
- Make a creamy soup by adding evaporated light milk once the soup is cooked. Add at the end and warm through, the milk will separate if it is boiled too much.
- Have a good quality boiler. This will help to avoid scorching or burning the base.
- Use cooking spray instead of butter or oil for frying off ingredients.
- Pumpkin or red sweet potato make a great base for soups.
- Use low-salt (sodium) stock powders in soups.
- Skip the sour cream, instead add a dollop of low fat natural yoghurt as a lower fat option.
- Swap the croutons for my Symple Damper from book 1, for a much lower fat count.
Make up a batch of soup, then divide into small containers and freeze. Perfect for singles for an easy dinner and an ideal workday lunch.
Looking for the perfect soup recipe?
Look no further, I have 22 healthy homemade soup recipes in my seven cookbooks.
Asparagus and Sweet Corn Soup – book 2
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup – book 4
Cream of Mushroom Soup – book 6
Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Soup – book 5
Dahl Soup – book 5
Healthy Veggie Soup – book 6
Hearty Vegetable Soup – book 3
Lamb and Vegetable Soup – book 7
Meatball and Vegetable Soup – book 5
Mexicana Soup – book 3
Minestrone Soup – book 1
Moroccan Pumpkin Soup – book 7
Mulligatawny Soup – book 7
Pea and Ham Soup – book 4
Potato and Leek Soup – book 2
Pumpkin Soup – book 1
Seafood Chowder – book 3
Sweet Potato Soup – Book 3
Thai Carrot and Coconut Soup – book 4
Thai Soup – book 2
Tomato and Vegetable Soup – book 4
Tomato Basil Bacon Soup – book 7
Pictured are my Pumpkin Soup, Symple Damper and Minestrone Soup all from book 1.