Can you believe it’s Mother’s Day in 2 weeks. It’s a well worn tradition to serve mums breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day. With breakfast being the most important meal of the day I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to talk about healthy breakfast options and provide you with some Mother’s Day breakfast inspiration. Never miss having breakfast even if it is a banana in the car on the way to work.
Here’s some simple ideas and tips for a healthy breakfast:
- A healthy cooked breakfast. Either poach or use cooking spray to fry eggs, dry fry lean bacon, preferably bacon short cut pieces, and add fresh mushrooms or sliced onion and tomato.
- Choose wholemeal or multigrain bread. Both are higher in fibre than white bread which will help to keep you feeling full, multigrain bread also has a lower Glycaemic Index. Always use reduced fat margarine to spread on toast.
- Avoid croissants and pastries. These are too high in fat to be included in a healthy breakfast.
- Limit packaged juice. Freshly squeezed juice is the best as it doesn’t have added sugar.
- The low down on cereals. For a quick easy breakfast you can’t beat a bowl of cereal. The healthiest choices are high in fibre and low in sugar; check the nutritional panel. Serve with skim milk or low fat yoghurt and fresh fruit.
- Choose decaffeinated tea or coffee. Caffeine is not ideal for anyone wanting general well being. Coffees made on full fat milk are high in saturated fat; choose skim milk as a better option.
- Breakfast on the go. My Premium Breakfast Shakes will get you through the busiest morning without reaching for a high fat, high sugar mid-morning fix. With 15g of protein and 7g of fibre, they will keep you feeling fuller for longer and they taste great too. Find out more about my Breakfast Shakes here.
- Some other simple ideas. French toast, crumpets, muffins, fruit platter or pancakes, all simple to make and great for breakfast.
Whether it’s breakfast in bed for a special occasion or your daily grind, there’s something for everyone in my seven cookbooks, available in all good newsagents or in my online shop. Many of the recipes below are suitable to be frozen so can be made ahead to save time in the mornings.
LIGHT CREPES book 1
BLUEBERRY AND BANANA MUFFINS book 2
HAM & CHEESE OMELETTE book 3
FRENCH TOAST book 3
MINI QUICHES – book 4
CHINESE OMELETTE – book 5
SAVOURY PIKELETS – book 6
BACON AND EGG BASKETS book 7
And as an added bonus I’ve included my Blueberry Flapjacks recipe from book 3 for you to try.
Want to win brownie points on Mother’s Day?
Why not give mum my fabulous updated cookbooks. Available in all good newsagents or here in my online shop.