These portion size tips and charts will give you a good range of guidelines for portion sizes for weightloss.
The best guideline to follow for your lunch or dinner plate is half a plate of vegetables/salad, one quarter of protein and one quarter carbs.
- Meat and chicken. The size of raw meat portions should be 120g for women and 150g for men. For a piece of beef steak cut the fat off the side and it will drop the fat count down by half.
- Cooked rice should be between ½ to ¾ cup for women; 1 cup for men
- Cooked spaghetti should be 1 cup for women and 1½ cups for men.
- Vegetables are unlimited; but this does not include potato, sweet potato or corn as these are high in carbohydrates. Avocado is the other exception and a 30g serve is recommended. It is recommended you have five serves of vegetables a day; a serve equals half a cup.
- Fruit is so good for you but how much are you having? To lose weight women should have 2–3 pieces and for men 3–4 pieces a day. For maintaining weight 4–5 pieces a day maximum. The size per serve is 150g (includes skin and seeds) so if your apple weighs 225g then it is one and half fruit serves.
Weightloss portion chart – serving size for adults
Need more help? Click here for more tips to help you lose weight.