Difficulty | Makes 12 | Book 4
Preheat oven 220ºC fan forced.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl, add sugar.
- Combine milk with melted margarine then beat egg whites into milk using a fork until blended.
- Pour wet mix into flour and fold together using a wooden spoon then using your hands combine well.
- Place dough onto a well-floured surface and using your hands press out into a large round shape, about 1½-2 cm thick (do not knead as it will make the scones tough).
- Using either a 6cm scone cutter or glass that has been dipped into flour (to stop dough sticking), cut out 12 scones.
- Coat a flat baking tray with cooking spray. Place scones so they are touching on tray. Brush tops with a little milk then bake 12-15 minutes or until cooked.
Variation: For a Sultana Scone add ½ cup sultanas
Note: An adapted version of this recipe is also in Cooking for 1 or 2 people
Suitable to be frozen.
Scones have little nutritional value. The plain option is lower in carbohydrates which makes it a better choice as a snack.