Difficulty | Makes 12 | Book 2
Preheat oven 200°C fan forced.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl for one minute using an electric beater.
- Stir bicarb into apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl using a wooden spoon.
- Combine milk with melted margarine, then add to bowl.
- Stir all vegetables, yoghurt, parmesan cheese, bran and combine well. Pepper to taste.
- Gently fold sifted flour into mixture in one go, treat as a sponge, DO NOT BEAT as this will make the muffins tough (mixture can look a little lumpy). The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the muffins will be.
- Spoon mixture into a muffin tin that has been coated with cooking spray, dividing equally.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
NOTE: An adapted version of this recipe is also in Cooking for 1 or 2 people
Suitable to be frozen.
This recipe recommends the use of low fat products resulting in it having less kilojoules than traditional muffins making it a suitable occasional food for people with diabetes.