Difficulty | Serves 8 | Book 1
Preheat oven 180°C fan forced.
- White sauce: Melt margarine in a medium size saucepan, add flour, mix with a whisk and cook for 30 seconds then slowly add hot milk stirring vigorously to smooth out lumps until all milk is blended into sauce. Once boiled pepper to taste. Remove from heat and leave to sit for 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Meat sauce: Sauté mince in a large saucepan that has been coated with cooking spray until browned, drain well then remove to a bowl.
- Respray the same saucepan and sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes then add all other ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce to a slow boil for 5 minutes.
- Return mince to pan, cook a further 5 minutes on slow boil, leave to one side.
- Assemble: Spoon a third of meat sauce over base of large lasagne dish, cover with half of white sauce.
- Top with 2 lasagne sheets then spread half of meat sauce over lasagne, cover with remaining white sauce,
- Top with remaining lasagne sheets and spread the remainder of meat sauce on top then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place a layer of baking paper over a sheet of foil then baking paper side down cover top of lasagne. This will help avoid cheese from sticking.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, remove foil, cook a further 5-10 minutes until pasta is cooked and cheese is golden brown.
NOTE: An adapted version of this recipe is also in Cooking for 1 or 2 people
Suitable to be frozen for 2-3 weeks
At last a lasagne that is low in saturated fat, low in kilojoules and has moderate sodium. Great for those aiming to manage blood pressure and diabetes.