Difficulty | Serves 6 | Book 7
- Sauce: Remove the green hull from strawberries then chop three quarters of the strawberries into small dice. Thinly slice remaining strawberries, leave to one side.
- Place diced strawberries into a medium size saucepan with sugar, orange juice and ¼ cup water. Bring to boil then reduce to a moderate boil for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Combine extra water with cornflour then add to pot and give the mixture a good stir. Add remaining strawberry slices and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and leave to one side.
- Pancakes: Beat egg whites and maple syrup in a medium size mixing bowl for 1 minute.
- Stir bicarb into buttermilk, then combine with egg mix.
- Sift flour into mix in one go, gently fold ingredients together. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the pancakes tough. The least the mixture is moved the lighter the pancakes will be.
- Coat a non-stick frypan or griddle with cooking spray and pour four pancakes around 8cm wide, spread mixture a little with a spoon. Have on medium heat to avoid pancakes burning. Cook 2-3 minutes or until edges start to set then spray top of each pancake then turn, cook a further 2 minutes or until firm to touch in centre of pancake.
- Repeat until you have 12 pancakes. Serve 2 pancakes per person and divide sauce equally over each serve. Serve hot or cold.
NOTE: An adapted version of this recipe is also in Cooking for 1 or 2 people
Suitable to be frozen.
Pancakes for a weekend breakfast make a change from cereal or toast. Try to include the strawberries or other fruit to increase fibre, vitamins and minerals.