Difficulty | Makes 12 | Book 1
Preheat oven 200°C fan forced.
- Beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute in a medium size mixing bowl using an electric beater.
- Stir bicarb into apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl.
- Combine milk with melted margarine then to bowl and combine.
- Combine the bran, banana, cinnamon and orange rind using a wooden spoon with mix.
- Gently fold sifted flour into mixture in one go, DO NOT BEAT as this will make the muffins tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the muffin will be.
- Once flour is just combined (mixture can look a little lumpy) spoon equally into a 12 cup muffin tray that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
NOTE: An adapted version of this recipe is also in Cooking for 1 or 2 people
Suitable to be frozen
The added bran increases the fibre content of this recipe. Great for digestive health but keep this as an occasional food if you have diabetes and want to lose weight.