Difficulty | Makes 12 | Book 7
Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Fry diced bacon in a small frypan until browned. Add tomato, garlic and basil, and cook for 3 minutes. Leave to one side.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl for 1 minute using an electric beater.
- Combine milk with melted margarine then add to bowl using a wooden spoon.
- Add zucchini, 3 tablespoons parmesan, chilli and pepper and combine well.
- Fold bacon mix into wet mixture, then sift in flour. Gently fold ingredients together. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the muffins tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the muffin.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray, then spoon mixture into prepared muffin tin, dividing equally between the 12 cups.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese equally over the top of muffins.
- Bake 25 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then place onto a wire rack to cool.
Suitable to be frozen.
These muffins can be enjoyed occasionally.