Difficulty | Serves 16 | Book 7
Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Beat egg whites in a medium size mixing bowl for 2 minutes using an electric beater.
- Combine milk with melted margarine then pour into bowl and combine.
- Add sifted cocoa and icing sugar and beat on low speed until blended.
- Add hazelnut meal and walnuts and combine.
- Coat a square cake tin (20cm) with cooking spray then a sheet of baking paper to fit base of cake tin. Pour mixture evenly into tin.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then place onto a wire rack to cool. Once cooled slide onto a flat surface and cut into 16 squares.
Suitable to be frozen.
This recipe is gluten free and can also be made dairy free by substituting the skim milk for unsweetened almond milk and Flora Light margarine for Nuttelex Lite.
Several population studies have shown that people who consume nuts regularly are less likely to suffer from coronary heart disease. This is due to nuts being high in HDL “good” cholesterol and omega 3 fatty acids.