Difficulty | Serves 6 | Book 5
- Cook pasta following instructions on pasta packet, leave to one side. Test.
- Pesto: Place pine nuts on a flat sheet of foil and brown under griller (be careful as they burn easily). Place all pesto ingredients into either a small blender or stick blender to blend until a paste is made. Leave to one side.
- Sauce: Cut chicken breasts into bite size strips.
- Sauté garlic and chicken in a large non-stick frypan that has been coated generously with cooking spray until browned.
- Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Fold tomato paste, pesto and stock powder into mix, combine well.
- Combine cornflour with skim milk, pour into pan with evaporated milk, bring to boil, pepper to taste.
- Add cooked pasta to pan, combine well. Once boiled take off heat as evaporated milk can separate when over boiled.
Variations: Replace chicken with 500g lean rump steaks, lean lamb leg steaks or 500g green peeled prawns.
Suitable to be frozen for 2-3 weeks.
Pasta is a low GI carbohydrate food. However, it is still important that people with diabetes moderate their serving sizes to minimise fluctuations in blood sugars. This serving size is ideal for most people with diabetes.