Difficulty | Serves 10 | Book 7
Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Beat egg whites and sugar in a large mixing bowl for 1 minute using an electric beater. Stir bicarb into banana then add to bowl and combine using a wooden spoon.
- Combine milk into melted margarine then add to bowl with bran and blend.
- Sift flour into mix in one go, gently fold ingredients together. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the cake tough. The least the mixture is moved the lighter the cake.
- Gently fold in raspberries then pour into a round cake tin (19cm) that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until firm to touch in the centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then place onto a wire rack to cool.
Variation: Replace raspberries with any frozen berries of your choice or Instead of a cake make into 12 muffins. 180ºC for 20-25 minutes or until cooked to touch in centre.
Suitable to be frozen.
There is no need to avoid bananas. They are a great source of vitamins, potassium and other minerals. Recent studies have confirmed that they have a low GI even when they are served ripe.