Difficulty | Makes 12 | Book 1
Preheat oven to 200ºC fan forced.
- Coat 12 cup muffin tray with cooking spray. Beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute in a medium size mixing bowl using an electric beater.
- Stir bicarb into apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl using a wooden spoon. Add apple and cinnamon.
- Combine melted margarine with skim milk then add to bowl and combine.
- Gently fold sifted flour into mixture in one go. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the muffins tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the muffin will be. Once flour is just combined (mixture can look a little lumpy) spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins, equally dividing into 12 cups. Bake 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Topping: Once cooked and still hot, brush a little water over the top of each muffin and sprinkle with topping. Leave to rest for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Suitable to be frozen.
Fruit muffins provide a great occasional snack but it is best to have fresh fruit, vegetable sticks or low fat yoghurt most of the time if you want to lose weight or have diabetes.