When I decided to give up dieting and become a healthy person I knew some things had to change. Number one was, I needed to change my ways with food and adopt a healthy eating plan.
To have good health and well-being you must have an eating regime that has variety and a balance of all the food groups. Eating moderate amounts and exercising are the keys to weight loss success and so I thought I’d share with you some tips on healthy eating.
5 healthy eating tips
1. Make changes gradually. Don’t expect to become a healthy person overnight, if you change your habits too dramatically then you may find it hard to stick to the routine. Make changes gradually and permanently eg. If you hate skim milk, then start with trim and after a while you may find that skim milk is fine. Remember you need to start somewhere, so start now!
2. Enjoy plenty of whole grains, fruit and vegies. The best way is to experiment and try lots of different ways to cook using these food groups. It is recommended to have between 2-4 serves of fruit and 3-5 serves of vegetables a day. And when it comes to grains try to have wholegrain instead of processed bread, rice or pasta.
3. Eat moderate amounts. The recommended serving size of meat for a main meal is around 90 grams cooked for women and 120 grams for men or similar in size to the palm of your hand. A serving of fish is the size of your whole hand. A half cup of vegetables is a serve and fruit should be a medium piece around 150g for a serve. The perfect dinner plate should be ¼ protein, ¼ carbohydrates and ½ vegetables or salad.
4. Know your weaknesses. To become healthier, you need to know what you are doing wrong in the first place. A great way to see where you are going wrong is to write down everything you eat for a few days, see how much of each food group you are having. Is there one group that you are eating too much of?
5. And finally, remember dieting doesn’t work. If anything, all you achieve on a diet is hunger, deprivation and weight gain. Instead think of food as fuel for your body. The key to a having a balanced diet is to make healthy choices, eat in moderation and exercise 3-5 times a week.