I am the Queen of swapping. Yes I love to swap every day ingredients with healthy alternatives and it’s easy once you know how.
So if you want to offer your family healthier meals, join me and start swapping. Here are my top 10 healthy swaps in the kitchen.
- Swap cream in cooking for evaporated light milk – it works really well in potato bakes, sauces & puddings.
- Swap coconut milk for evaporated light milk and a little coconut essence. Works so well in Thai curries, Indian & anything that you would use coconut milk for. At only 4g fat per cup this is a fantastic way to reduce the fat in your meals. For example my Indian Tikka Chicken recipe in book 6 is 5.9g fat per serve and would be around 60g fat per serve if you used coconut cream.
- Swap full fat mince for 5% fat premium mince.
- Swap whole chicken with skinless chicken breast.
- Swap full fat dairy products with low fat dairy such as for milk, cheese, cream cheese and yoghurt.
- Swap oil for cooking spray.
- Swap white rice for Basmati rice as it has a lower GIycemic Index.
- Swap sour cream for low fat cottage cheese with a little lemon juice blended together until smooth.
- Swap sweet cream for low fat cottage cheese with a little sugar and vanilla essence until blended smooth.
- And finally swap your attitude! Healthy and delicious really can go hand in hand. No need to miss out on your favourites; it is all about being clever and no one will know the difference.
Pictured is my delicious Chicken Laksa recipe from book 3.