Difficulty | Serves 4 | Book - MORE Cooking for 1 or 2 people
Preheat oven 220°C fan forced.
- Pastry: Semi defrost pastry, cut in half. Refreeze other half to be used another time. Cut the remaining half sheet of pastry in half. Place onto a flat baking tray that has been coated with cooking spray. Place another flat baking tray on top of the pastry (this helps keep the pastry even). Bake 12 minutes. Leave to one side.
- Custard: Place all custard ingredients into a small saucepan, whisk continuously over medium heat until boiling. Pour into a small bowl, place a piece of cling wrap directly on top of custard to prevent skin forming on top. Refrigerate.
- Once custard has cooled remove cling wrap then stir mixture until smooth. Spread evenly over one piece of pastry making sure to go to the edge.
- Place remaining pastry piece on top. Press down to level custard. Use a butter knife to scrape the sides of the slice so custard is even with pastry.
- Icing: Combine the icing ingredients and mix well. Pour over top of pastry. Refrigerate until set. Cut into 4.
Variations: For passionfruit icing replace milk and vanilla essence with around 1½ teaspoons fresh passionfruit pulp. Mix in well.
For a dairy free custard option replace skim milk with unsweetened almond milk.
Not suitable to be frozen.
This recipe has significant carbohydrate however a low glycaemic index. This means that your insulin will have time to take this sugar out of your blood and use it for energy before your blood sugar level gets too high.