Difficulty | Makes 12 | Book 7
Preheat oven to 180ºC fan forced.
- Cakes: Place beetroot into a small bowl and blend until fine using a stick blender. Leave to one side.
- Beat egg whites and sugar in a large mixing bowl for 1 minute using an electric beater.
- Combine milk with melted margarine then add to bowl with beetroot, essence, red colouring and Nutella. Beat until combined using a wooden spoon.
- Sift flour into wet mix and gently fold using a wooden spoon. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the cupcakes tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the cupcake.
- Place a cupcake case into a 12-cup muffin pan. Spoon an even amount of mixture into each case.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then place onto a wire rack to cool.
- Topping: Sifted icing sugar into a small mixing bowl then add cream cheese and beat together until blended. Refrigerate until required. Either pipe or spoon equal amounts of topping in centre of each cupcake.
- Sugar sprinkles: Stir red colouring into white sugar and mix until blended. Put topping and sugar sprinkles on cupcakes just before serving.
Suitable to be frozen.
Red cupcakes look fantastic, however, they are an occasional food as they contain very little nutritional value.