Difficulty | Serves 8 | Book 1
Preheat oven 180°C fan forced.
- Beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute in medium size mixing bowl using an electric beater. Stir bicarb into apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl.
- Combine milk with melted margarine then poor into bowl and combine using a wooden spoon.
- Gently fold sifted flour and cinnamon into mixture in one go. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the sponge tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the sponge will be.
- Pour mixture into a quiche or pie dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Place peach halves with the cut side facing down into mixture. Bake 40-45 minutes or until sponge springs back when lightly pressed in centre.
Variation: Replace tinned peaches with any tinned fruit you like eg. apricots, pears.
Suitable to be frozen.
NOTE: An adapted version of this recipe is also in MORE Cooking for 1 or 2 people
This recipe is a little too high in kilojoules and carbohydrate to be eaten regularly. Definitely don’t add ice-cream or yoghurt if you are aiming to lose weight.