What you do first thing in the morning will really influence your mood for the day, so it’s important to start your day right.
Here are 5 habits to adopt to start your day right:
- Drink a glass of water – Chances are you will be a little parched when you wake, the answer is not caffeine as this will dehydrate you more. Drinking a glass of water when you first get up gets the water habit started for the day and makes it easier to get in your eight glasses a day.
- Exercise – Take a walk, breathe in fresh air and get some early morning sunshine. Scheduling your daily exercise first thing in the morning means it’s done! If you leave exercise until later in the day, you have more time to talk yourself out of it or for other things to take priority over it. Tick it off early and wear a halo over your head all day.
- Take a few moments for yourself – Think of 3 things you are grateful for (you can do this while you’re taking that morning walk). This will start the day on a positive mental note and you’ll be more likely to have a positive outlook for the day ahead.
- Have breakfast – This will kick-start your metabolism and get you in fat-burning mode from the outset. Choose a breakfast that has a good amount of fibre; a cereal should have at least 3 grams of fibre per serve. A good breakfast will prevent a mid-morning crash and help to keep you on track until lunch time. Check out my Breakfast Shakes.
- Write a to-do-list – If it seems like you have too much to do for the day, write a list and number it in order of importance. Pick one of the harder things to do first while your mind is fresh then you’ll have some easier tasks to do later in the day when your motivation is flagging.
A final wrap up
How you start your day will govern how well you finish the day!
Let’s face it, if we start the day poorly, we’re more likely to give up on our healthy regime. Start the day well and you’re more likely to end it well.
And if doing all 5 seems a bit overwhelming… pick one thing to include this week. What’s one thing you can do tomorrow morning to start your day well?
Need more help? Click here for more tips to help you lose weight.