How is your bank balance looking after Christmas spending, holidays and getting the kids back to school?
February can be a lean month where budgeting is on the top of the list. One place that you could find a great support at this time is the food stashed away in your freezer. I had my 2nd freezer break down just after Christmas so we had to quickly sort through what we wanted to keep and what needed to be thrown out. I found things in there that I had completely forgotten about.
What treasures do you have hidden in your freezer that could save you spending unnecessarily in the supermarket? February could be the month that you clean out your freezer and help save dollars at the same time.
Here are some tips:
- Sort through all the drawers or shelves in your freezer and make a list of what is there.
- Now write a menu plan using frozen food for your meals over the next few weeks.
- Anything that has freezer burn will need to be either thrown out or you could cut off the damaged portion.
- If you can’t remember how long it has been in the freezer then throw it out.
- If you’re like me I found lots of small packets of lamb and pork left over from baked dinners so use these for sandwiches this month.
- If you have frozen leftovers that aren’t enough to make a meal out of then think of ways to add to it to stretch it further. I found some bolognaise and added some grated carrot and zucchini and a can of tomatoes and had this with pasta. It was delicious.
- If you find you have several single serve meals then let the family pick one each to have and serve them with rice or pasta. Make this your lucky dip dinner.
- If you have a lot of frozen fruit that you want to use up such as packets of blueberries or raspberries then have a bake day and make some muffins, cakes or use for a healthy fruit salad.
- If you have bags or packets of food that you don’t know what the contents are then remember in future to always write what it is and the date frozen so you avoid this happening again.
- Check all the half used ice cream or other containers and combine so you have more space.