Difficulty | Serves 12 | Book 2
- Cake: Place sugar, margarine and boiling water in a medium size mixing bowl stirring until completely dissolved.
- Sift flour and cocoa with bicarb into the bowl, beat together for 1 minute using an electric beater.
- Add egg whites and beat 30 seconds more.
- Prepare a microwave round ring dish (6 cup) or one that has a separate centre piece by coating with cooking spray. Cut out a piece of baking paper to fit base of dish.
- Pour cake mix into dish then place in centre of microwave. Cook as follows:
1000 watt on high for 4 minutes
1200 watt on high for 3 minutes 40 seconds
Leave in microwave 2 minutes then remove. Turn onto a cake rack, peel off paper and cool.
- Icing: Once cake has cooled, sift icing sugar and cocoa into a small mixing bowl. Add margarine and mix with enough milk to get a spreadable consistency. Spread icing over top of cake.
Note: This cake needs to be made in a ring tin with a centre hole otherwise it won’t cook in the centre.
Variation: To make in conventional oven follow recipe but instead of using a microwave dish use a metal ring cake tin coated with cooking spray. Bake in fan-forced oven 180°c for approximately 30 minutes or until firm to touch in the centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Everyone’s favourite but this cake offers little nutritional value to your diet.