Difficulty | Serves 16 | Book 2
Preheat oven 180°C fan forced.
- Place mixed fruit, sugar, spice, brandy and whole can of pineapple into a saucepan, boil for 3 minutes. Stir in bicarb, leave to cool.
- Once fruit mixture has cooled beat in egg whites. If you prefer a darker cake add in Parisian essence to fruit mix.
- Gently fold sifted flour into mixture in one go, treat as a sponge, DO NOT BEAT as this will make the cake tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the cake will be.
- Pour mixture into a square (19cm) or round cake tin that has been generously coated with cooking spray. Decorate top of cake with almonds (optional).
- Bake 55-60 minutes. Leave to rest for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Variation: For a lower fat count omit almonds = 0.5g fat per slice.
Suitable to be frozen.
People with diabetes may require a smaller serving size, as the cake is high in carbohydrate and kilojoules.