Difficulty | Serves 12 | Book 2
Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Cake: Beat egg whites and sugar in a large mixing bowl for 1 minute using an electric beater.
- Stir bicarb into apple sauce (it will froth), add to bowl using a wooden spoon.
- Pour lemon juice, rind, essence, buttermilk and melted margarine into mixture and stir together.
- Gently fold sifted flour into mixture in one go, treat as a sponge, DO NOT BEAT as this will make the cake tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the cake will be.
- Gently fold in drained blueberries. Pour into a ringed cake tin (19cm) that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Icing: (Optional) Place sifted icing sugar into a small mixing bowl. Add margarine and slowly add enough juice to make a spreadable consistency. Sprinkle grated lemon rind over icing for decoration (optional).
Variation: For a lower calorie and carb count omit icing.
Suitable to be frozen.
Have the plain cake without icing if you have diabetes. This not only decreases the sugar content but also the kilojoules and will help with controlling your body weight.