Difficulty | Serves 15 | Book 4
Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Slice: Beat egg whites and sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl for 1 minute using an electric beater.
- Stir bicarb into apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl.
- Place sifted cocoa, vanilla essence, milk and Nutella into bowl, combine well.
- Fold sifted flour into mixture in one go, treat as if it is a sponge. DO NOT BEAT, as this will make the slice tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the cake will be.
- Pour mixture into a slab tin (18cm x 28cm) that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake 25-30 minutes or until firm to touch in centre.
- Icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a small mixing bowl. Place Nutella and milk into bowl add only enough milk to make the icing spreadable. While slice is still warm spread icing over top, leave to cool. Once cooled, cut into 15 squares.
Suitable to be frozen.
Low in fat and moderate in carbohydrates. Do not go back for seconds. An occasional food for people with diabetes.