Difficulty | Serves 8 | Book - MORE Cooking for 1 or 2 people
Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Grate 1½ tablespoons of orange rind using the small grate side. Remove and discard the remaining peel off one orange, then dice the orange.
- Squeeze ½ cup orange juice from remaining orange.
- Place rind, juice, chopped orange, mixed fruit and cinnamon into a medium sized saucepan. Bring to boil then reduce to slow boil for 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Melt margarine into mix then add bicarb, stir well. Pour into a mixing bowl and leave to one side to cool to room temperature.
- Beat egg whites into mix using a wooden spoon.
- Add sifted flour to bowl in one go then gently fold together. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the loaf tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the cake.
- Pour mixture into a small loaf tin that has been coated with cooking spray and bake for 35-40 minutes or until firm to touch in the centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Suitable to be frozen.
Oranges are a good source of several vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C, thiamine, folate, and potassium.