Difficulty | Makes 12 | Book 4
Preheat oven 220ºC fan forced.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl then orange peel and sugar and mix together.
- Combine orange juice with melted margarine then beat egg whites into juice using a fork until blended.
- Pour wet mix into flour with chopped dates and fold together using a wooden spoon then using your hands combine well.
- Place dough onto a well-floured surface and using your hands press out into a large round shape, about 1½-2cm thick (do not knead as it will make the scones tough).
- Using either a 6cm scone cutter or glass that has been dipped into flour (to stop dough sticking), cut out 12 scones.
- Coat a flat baking tray with cooking spray. Place scones so they are touching on tray. Brush tops with a little milk then bake 12-15 minutes or until cooked..
Variation: For a plain date scone omit orange juice and peel and replace with ½ cup skim milk.
Dates provide a good source of dietary fibre, potassium and magnesium. People with diabetes should stop at one.