Difficulty | Makes 12 | Book 4
Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced.
- Patty cake: Beat egg whites and sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl for 1 minute using an electric beater.
- Combine milk and essence with melted margarine then pour into bowl and combine.
- Gently fold sifted flour into mixture in one go, treat as if it is a sponge. DO NOT BEAT, as this will make the cakes tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the cakes will be.
- Place paper patty cases into a 12 cup muffin pan and spoon equal amounts of mixture into cases. Bake 10 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then place onto a wire rack to cool.
- Icing: Once cakes have cooled, place sifted icing sugar, margarine and milk into a small mixing bowl, blend together until a spreadable consistency. Add a few drops of food colouring mixing in well (optional). Spread icing over each patty cake. Leave to set.
Variation: Omit icing for a plain patty cake
Omit the icing would make this suitable as an occasional snack for a person with diabetes. It contains refined foods of little nutritious value.