Difficulty | Serves 16 | Book 2
- Crumble and break up bread and crusts into a large mixing bowl. Heat milk until hot, then pour over bread, stir together until mushy and bread has absorbed all the milk.
- Add mixed fruit to bread with spices and rum/brandy, mix together well.
- Beat egg whites into mixture well.
- Stir bicarb into apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl.
- Fold mashed banana, melted margarine and Parisian essence (this will make a darker pudding) into mix, combining well.
- Gentle fold in sifted flour until ingredients until well combined. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the pudding will be.
- Pour into a 19cm x 9 cm pudding steamer that has a lid and coat generously with cooking spray, spray lid as well. Secure lid.
- Place a saucer turned upside down into base of boiler, put pudding dish on top of saucer and fill with boiling water to reach three quarters of the way up the steamer. Put lid on pot securely, bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 3½ hours. Check water level occasionally, top up if needed.
To reheat place in boiler for 45 minutes or microwave before serving.
NOTE: Pudding can be made 1 month ahead but keep refrigerated and securely wrapped.
NOTE: An adapted version of this recipe is also in Cooking for 1 or 2 people
Suitable to be frozen.
A special occasion pudding that is low in fat but high in carbohydrate and kilojoules. The whole family will enjoy this at Christmas time.