Difficulty | Serves 8 | Book - Cooking for 1 or 2 people
- Place sultanas and currants, spices and water into a small size saucepan, bring to boil, simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour into a mixing bowl then add margarine. Combine until margarine has melted.
- Blend the apple sauce and bicarb into mix and combine. Leave to cool.
Preheat oven 180°C fan forced.
- Once fruit mixture has cooled, beat egg whites into fruit mixture well.
- Gently fold both sifted flours into mixture in one go, treat as a sponge, DO NOT BEAT as this will make the loaf tough. The less the mixture is moved, the lighter the loaf will be.
- Pour mixture into a small loaf tin that has been coated with cooking spray and bake approximately 35 minutes or until cooked in centre. Leave to rest for a few minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
NOTE: Use remaining apple puree in another recipe or freeze for later use.
Suitable to be frozen
What a fantastic snack. The sugar is natural sugar coming from the sultanas and currants. These are high in antioxidants particularly phenols that help prevent cancer and heart disease.